Our latest excursion into Rome took us around the area by Piazza Republica to visit the church of Santa Maria della Vittoria. Right outside the church is this fountain, named the Fountain of Moses. Built in 1588 it's got a huge statue of a very stern Moses in the center.
This is the inside of the church of Santa Maria della Vittoria. This small yet magnificently Baroque church was begun in 1605.
The most famous sculpture in the church is Bernini's Ecstasy of St. Teresa. The statues depict a moment described by Saint Teresa of Avila in her autobiography, where she had the vivid vision of an angel piercing her heart with a golden shaft, causing her both immense joy and pain. Today it's possible to view St. Teresa's heart, which contains a deep gash in it.
A detail of the sculpture, considered one of the most realistic and beautiful pieces in the world.
This is a shot of the high altar, taken as we walked backed into the Sacristy.
In the sacristy are various banners and other artifacts commemorating Catholic victories, in keeping with the title of the church "Holy Mary of the Victory". This particular one is the standard of the Holy Roman Emperor, so it wasn't captured :).
A close-up of the imperial double-headed eagle.
THIS one however is a captured Turkish banner from the battle of Vienna in 1529. It's faint, but you can make out the Islamic crescent, and the hand of Allah giving a sword to Islam.
Here's a painting depicting a battle during the Thirty Years War. It is one of a series which military historians still use to study battle formations and tactics during the time.